We are looking forward to a fun-filled year in our physical education classes. To ensure this, we have developed this handbook to answer any questions you may have pertaining to your child`s physical education classes. We feel this will help us to work together as a team to create a successful school year!
Plank`s Physical Education Department strives to instill in each student the value of physical activity so that they can develop healthy lifestyle habits, which leads to a lifetime of excellence in health and overall wellness.
Goals of Physical Education
· To enhance the skill level of each student in a variety of activities, so that they may develop a positive attitude towards physical fitness.
· To build a greater appreciation and desire to participate in fitness activities, so that students may achieve a healthy lifestyle.
· To increase the cognitive knowledge of each student regarding fitness and the application of positive decision making skills.
· To encourage sportsmanship and participation in team building skills.
· To promote a safe and positive social interaction within the school environment by utilizing the Character Counts pillars (Responsibility, Trustworthiness, Caring, Fairness, Citizenship, and Respect).
Each student receives a total of 5 semesters of physical education during junior high school, along with 1 semester of health. Most physical education units are 3 weeks in length and consist of skill testing, written tests regarding rules and strategies, and game participation. During each unit our staff will review the skills students need to participate in these activities and help them build the confidence they need to feel successful. Your child does not need to be highly skilled in order to achieve a good grade. We look at effort and attitude!!
**Please note that participation and responsibility are very important in physical education class. If your child comes to class dressed every day, participates to the best of his/her ability, and follows school rules, he/she can achieve an A or B for this class.
1. Each student must wear the required Junior High Physical Education uniform. All uniforms must be in good repair.
2. Uniforms include a t-shirt that is printed with "Oswego Phys Ed" and blue jersey shorts. The cost for the uniform is $20. Each student must purchase a uniform at the beginning of the year if they do not already have one. This uniform will be used at the high school also. If your child loses the uniform, they may purchase a new one at any time. Each piece of the uniform costs $10.
3. Each student must wear a pair of athletic type shoes and socks. They do not need to have a separate pair of athletic shoes for class, but if they are going to wear sandals to school, they will need to bring shoes and socks with them to class. We suggest that students keep an extra pair of shoes in their PE locker, but do not require it. If a student doesn't have the appropriate shoes for PE they will not be allowed to participate.
4. During the colder months that we are outside, students may wear sweats and a sweatshirt that they have brought from home, for class use only. They may not wear a sweatshirt they wore to school! This is for safety and personal hygiene reasons, but also so that they do not ruin their winter jackets and clothes. These sweats can be any color, as long as they are only for physical education class. Please note that we will not take students outside if the temperature is below 32 degrees.
5. Students will be required to take their PE uniform home every weekend to be cleaned.
District Physical Education Management Procedures
A physical education student may be denied participation and will lose participation points for any of the following reasons:
1. No uniform or no athletic shoes.
2. Unexcused absence from school, unless it is consecutive, then that will be decided on by administration.
3. Not being allowed to participate for any of the following reasons:
a. Dangerous or disruptive behavior
b. Destruction of school property or equipment
c. Gross misconduct
d. Inappropriate shoes for physical activity
e. Tardy to class
f. Frequently interrupting the teacher
g. Harassment of another student
i. Failure to follow directions
j. Poor participation
4. Wearing a partial uniform will result in partial loss of responsibility points
5. Any extenuating circumstances will be dealt with at the discretion of the teacher and/or administration.
*If your child is unable to participate due to the above reasons, an alternate placement or activity will be provided without the possibility to make up lost points.
Locks and Locker
Responsibility is a very important quality for our students. We issue each student a locker and a lock at the beginning of the school year, and it is their responsibility to use that locker and lock. We want them to protect their personal belongings. If your child does not lock up their locker with the PE clothes and/or personal belongings, it will result first in a verbal warning. If they lose their lock, there is a replacement fee of $5. Using lockers in physical education class starts in 6th grade and continues on through high school. It is very important that they use their responsibility skills with locker procedures.
*Items NOT allowed in the locker room: gum, candy, food, drinks (with the exception of a packed lunch before lunch hour), scented lotion, glass containers, cologne, perfume, body sprays. These items could present a safety hazard and are not permitted.
*The Plank Physical Education Department is NOT responsible for lost or stolen items
**CELL PHONES ARE NOT TO BE USED OR VISIBLE IN THE PE LOCKER ROOM OR GYM AREA. IT SHOULD BE LOCKED IN YOUR LOCKER AND OUT OF SIGHT DURING CLASS AND WHEN WAITING FOR THE BELL!!
*Physical Education teachers have the right to remove a lock if a student does not have their lock on the proper locker. Students` belongings should be placed in and kept a small locker after class is finished. The larger lockers are for 8th graders only. The exception being that during physical education class, students are allowed to place their belongings in a larger locker, but only during their physical education class.
Tardy to Class
Students are expected to be in the gym area by the time the bell sounds to start class. After the bell has sounded, students have 4-5 minutes to be dressed and seated in the gym. If students are marked tardy, each offense will be documented, responsibility points will be taken off, and a detention will be issued on the 3rd and any consecutive tardy..
Medical and Parent Excuse Notes
We understand fully that students can become injured or ill at some point in time. If your child is going to be out of class due to injury or illness they must either have a parent note or a medical note from a physician. A parent note will only allow the student to be excused for 2 days, after that it MUST be a medical excuse from a physician. During this time, your child will be given written work to complete in class to make up for the loss of participation points. PLEASE NOTE: If your child is injured or becomes ill during class, it is THEIR responsibility to notify a teacher and tell them if they need to see the school nurse.
Communication – It`s Important!
If at any point during the school year, you have a question regarding your child and his or her physical education class; it would be greatly appreciated if you would PLEASE EMAIL OR CALL HIS OR HER TEACHER. It is very important to us that you are satisfied with your child`s education and we want to quickly resolve any concerns you might have, but we cannot accomplish this if we do not know your concerns. We look forward to a fun and exciting year in all our physical education classes. Our plan is to bring success to each of our students!
Plank Physical Education Staff
Steve Tubman email@example.com 630-551-9433
Josh Edwards firstname.lastname@example.org 630-551-9431
Jessica Baker email@example.com 630-551-9430
Kristy Miller firstname.lastname@example.org 630-551-9460
*Please note that the Physical Education Handbook is only a guide. Information may be added or changed within the handbook with or without written notice.